craft beerNEW: Hicra - Beer bar: Asakusabashi
This small neigbhorhood bar has a stylish, minimalist decor and specializes in craft beers and highball cocktails. The ten taps dispense beers from well-regarded breweries like Full Sail, Sierra Nevada, Outsider and Shiga Kogen, while the highball...
craft beerIsekadoya Beer - Japanese regional: Yaesu
Run by the excellent Isekadoya craft-beer brewery, this lively izakaya serves thirteen of the brewery's beers on tap along with several kinds of sake from Mie Prefecture. The kitchen turns out regional Mie cuisine built around local ingredients -...
RetailHiranoya - Liquor shop: Shibuya
Although Hiranoya was once a simple retail bottle shop with a standing-bar corner, over the years they have transformed into a full-fledged specialty beer bar, albeit a rather tiny one. The main focus is on classic Belgian beers, with a huge...
beerHaburashi Beer and Potato - Scandinavian: Shibuya
Scandinavian-themed craft-beer bars seem to be popping up all over Shibuya, but unlike the other bars, the cozy Haburashi (Toothbrush) also provides a menu of Nordic-inspired dishes like grilled salmon, smoked trout salad, roast beef, and Norwegian...
craft beerTap and Growler - Beer bar: Shimo-Kitazawa
Craft beer to go is the selling point at this tiny neighborhood bar. They've got eighteen taps dispensing a nicely varied selection of Japanese craft beers, including some rarities, and you can either enjoy a half-pint here or fill a growler to...
RetailPlatinum Fish - Beer bar: Kawasaki
The twelve taps at this compact train-station bar dispense beers from Japanese craft breweries like Aqla, Isekadoya and the very local TK Brewing, located just a ten-minute walk from here. (You might have to ask about the TK beer - when we visited...
- Good food with your craft beer
- Outdoor, terrace and open-air seating
- Budget beer picks and standing bars
- US craft beers and strong IPA lists
- Late-night beer bars
- Nice decor, atmosphere or concept
- Craft beer picks
- Belgian beer picks
- German beers
- British, European and other international picks
- Bars run by breweries
Browse venues by location
- Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando
- Shinjuku area, Yoyogi
- Ikebukuro area, Mejiro, Takadanobaba, Otsuka, Kita-ku
- Ebisu area and south: Hiroo, Naka-Meguro, Meguro, Gotanda
- Akasaka, Roppongi, Toranomon, Kamiyacho, Azabu-Juban
- Yotsuya, Jimbocho, Ichigaya, Kagurazaka, Iidabashi
- Kanda, Mitsukoshimae, Awajicho, Akihabara, Asakusabashi, Bakurocho
- Asakusa, Ueno, Hongo, Skytree and Sumida-ku, Koto-ku, Adachi-ku
- Tokyo station: Otemachi, Marunouchi, Kyobashi, Yaesu, Nihonbashi, Kayabacho
- Ginza, Shimbashi, Hibiya, Uchisaiwaicho, Shiodome
- Bayside and Hamamatsucho: Mita, Shinagawa, Toyosu, Tennozu Isle
- West of Shinjuku: Sobu line, Setagaya-ku and west
- Yokohama, Kanagawa-ken, Chiba-ken, Saitama-ken, Kofu
January 25-27 (Fri 4-10pm; Sat 11am-9pm; Sun 11am-7pm)
Japan Brewers Cup Festival 2019
Try 300 different beers, mostly priced from Y300 per cup (although the average price is Y500). Thirty-two craft breweries, six craft beer importers and five food vendors will be taking part.
Price: Y500 admission, and pay as you go for beer
Tokyo Suidobashi, Tokyo Dome
January 11-20 (Jan 11-19 10am-9pm; Jan 20: 10am-6pm)
Furusato Matsuri Tokyo 2019
Celebrating the food culture of local regions around Japan, this weeklong "hometown festival" has been adding more and more locally produced craft beers in recent years to complement the hundreds of food stalls. This year there will be more than 100 craft beers to accompany the local delicacies. Weekends are jam-packed, but the throngs are manageable on weekdays and weeknights. Note that evening tickets, good for admission after 4pm, are Y400 cheaper than daytime tickets.
Tokyo Dome, Koraku 1-3-61 (Suidobashi, Korakuen, Kasuga stations)
Y1700 admission for same-day tickets, Y1300 for evenings (after 4pm), with discounts for advance purchase